Important Notice About Vendor Incident
BECU is aware of a network security issue involving our third-party printing vendor and is currently investigating to understand how it impacts our members.
BECU wants to inform you of a network security incident involving our third-party printing vendor that impacted their printing and notification services for our members and involved unauthorized access to certain data of some members. The vendor has engaged a third-party forensics firm to investigate the incident, to identify what data was accessed and to restore operations. We are communicating with the vendor regularly to monitor and understand implications for those members.
Who Is Affected?
We understand you may have concerns and we take these matters very seriously. We are working with the vendor to identify what BECU member data was accessed. We will promptly notify the impacted members and share more information as it becomes available. You can reference the FAQ below for steps to be proactive with your account security.
Securing and protecting our members' privacy and sensitive information remains our highest priority. We continually monitor accounts for suspicious and unauthorized activity. When we were informed of the incident, BECU immediately suspended services with the vendor, which is resulting in delays in all members receiving monthly statements and other correspondence. We are working to provide alternative options and have implemented back-up processes for communication to members. We apologize for any additional delays during this time.
Was my information compromised?
We are working with the vendor to identify what BECU member data was accessed. We will promptly notify the impacted members and share more information as it becomes available. The vendor has engaged a third-party forensics firm to investigate the incident, to identify what data was accessed and to restore operations.
What can I do to protect my data?
At all times, we encourage our members to be proactive with their own account security. Read more below to learn what you can do to protect yourself from ongoing potential threats.
The following are important steps you can take to secure your accounts, personal information, and identity:
- Monitor your accounts at all your financial institutions for fraudulent activity, such as new loans.
- Regularly review your credit report, at no cost, and without impact to your credit score.
- Sign up for alerts for your BECU accounts and credit cards so you can monitor debit and credit transactions.
- Protect your account in Online Banking. Take a moment to update your online account security options and add a code word for increased protection.
- Consider applying a credit freeze with all three credit reporting agencies. Learn more in these Federal Trade Commission credit freeze FAQs.
- Stay informed: The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) website provides information about current threats to consumers.
- Be aware: Criminals often use breaking news stories as opportunities to stage attacks. Verify phone calls, do not give out personal or financial information and watch out for phishing phone calls, emails, and SMS text messages.
Why is my monthly statement delayed?
We apologize for the delay. There is a network security issue with our third-party printing vendor that has impacted its printing and notification services for our members and involved unauthorized access to certain member data. BECU immediately suspended services with the vendor, which is resulting in delays in members receiving monthly statements and other correspondence.
When will my monthly statements be available?
We are communicating regularly with our third-party printing vendor and will resume operations when we are comfortable the vendor has been able to safeguard its technology environment. We are also exploring other solutions.
In the meantime, you can view your transaction history under Account Activity in Online Banking or in the mobile app under Transactions. If needed, we can print a version of your statement on demand. To request a printed June 2022 statement, please send us a secure message in Online Banking or the mobile app, or call 800-233-2328.
I was expecting another letter or notification that I haven't received. Was that also impacted by this incident?
If you were you expecting another correspondence from BECU that you haven't received, please send us a secure message in Online Banking or the mobile app, or call 800-233-2328.